Welcome to Excelsior Springs
Located only 30 minutes from downtown Kansas City. Excelsior Springs, Missouri, was founded in 1880 on the site of a mineral water spring after settlers discovered its medicinal qualities. The Web site for the Excelsior Springs Historic Preservation Commission provides information about locally designated historic landmarks.
Hall of Waters
Also known as Siloam Park and Springs, Hall of Waters is the site of the first spring of many discovered in Excelsior Springs in the 1880s and 1890s. It was designed by the architectural firm Keene & Simpson and built in 1936-37 as a mineral water health resort, with mineral baths and water bottling plant, capturing water from the springs, but is now used as city offices. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In 2020, the National Trust for Historic Preservation named it as one of America's most endangered historic places.
The Wabash Railway Station was constructed in 1927. The Wabash line was known as a branch line and connected Excelsior Springs directly with St. Louis, Buffalo and New York City. However, the highway system was soon efficient enough to draw riders from the Wabash line. On Sept. 9, 1933, the last run of the Wabash came into Excelsior Springs. In February of 1997, the vacant building was purchased and remodeling began for operation of a restaurant. The Wabash BBQ specializes in smoked meats and award winning ribs and chicken! Voted Best Ribs in K.C.!